Sunday, March 15, 2009

Karen's Update #4

Because I can't seem to keep this blog updated enough, I've decided to include my wife's update. She emails this out once in a while. Obviously, more often then I!

Here goes....... I hope you enjoy it.



VANAKKAM! Hello! in Tamil

Several of you have asked for more pictures so here you are. This is basically the 2nd half of my most recent India Update (yesterday's) as there was just too much and too many pictures to include.

I wanted to include pictures of the Jain Temple we visited in Mumbai. In the Jain religion there is extreme respect for all life. They don't eat any meat or even root vegetables in case some tiny insects have bored their way into the root. Very devout Jains wear thin screens over their mouths & noses to prevent them from accidentally inhaling any airborne insects.
Worshipping at the Jain Temple.
A women makes intricate patterns in rice as an offering.

We passed a circus family on their way to or from work. They set up on the street or near a market and their children perform tricks on the "highwire" that they set up using poles. The little guy in the basket may not be working just yet.

We visited a Spice Plantation while we were in Goa and it was really interesting. Pepper, cardomom, coffee, turmeric, bay leaves, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, clove and of course, chilis. No wonder Columbus called the Native Americans Indians when he was searching for India and it's spices.

Ayurvedic Medicine is an ancient method for treating the body and it was developed in nearby Kerala State so there was an Ayurvedic doctor and medicine available. Ayurveda means the "science of life" and the medicines are derived from vegetables, minerals, spices and more. It's practice incorporates exercise, yoga, meditation and massage.

Years ago I heard of a type of Ayurvedic massage given WITH the feet , involving long strokes from the soles to the outstretched fingertips while the practitioner steadies herself by a rope hung from the ceiling. I finally got to try it in Goa and it was great. Somehow though, I don't
think I'll be adding that to my repertoire.

Who cleared out the Memory Tea?? Oh yeah, that was me.

Lots of waterways on the southwest coast. This one by the plantation had some lounging water buffaloes.

Did I tell you we met Tarzan? This guy climbed up & down the trees and swung from tree to tree so fast I couldn't get a clear shot of him until he stopped--obviously enjoying himself.

Here we are enjoying the traditional cool off at the end of the tour, poured down our spines. It worked!

Everybody loves color in India.

Paan Wallah in Mumbai. A beetle leaf is spread with nuts & spices, folded and popped into the mouth as a mouth freshener. It's pretty good.

No comments: