Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Weekend 2/15cont.-2/19

Continuing on the 15th, Deepak took us to a hospital to check it out...... Man, total chaos! You see, when one family member goes to the hospital, the whole family usually comes too....... Which means, there's 3-4 times as many people there..... Anyway, we took the tour and I only got lost twice from the group..... But, at least we now have an understanding of how the hospital system  works.


Also on Friday, Deepak took us to the local movie Theater..... I didn't get any pictures here as it looked like any other huge modern theater....... One thing interesting though, they have a desert place right next to it, which is owned by the theater chain...... When you walk into this place, it's like it could be a desert shop on Melrose Ave...... Young, hip, and wild looking deserts, but tasty too........


Then to cap the evening off, Deepak took Karen and I home to meet his parents and wife (Meeto).... It was so much fun. We learned how an actual Indian family lives and worships...... Later, we sat down for some Indian snacks...... This was truly a high-lite to our exhausting day..... Really down to earth people. 
By the way, I've been invited to his cousin's wedding at the end of the month...... More to come on this.....

Then on Saturday 2/16 - we were off..... Going from one furniture show room to another looking for cheap furniture for our new (hopefully) apt...... We put this couch on hold. It cost Rs. 56,900 on sale........ Which equates to approx. $1,425. 

Wait a minute, it's not that cheap!

For a late lunch, we went to this great little south Indian Restaurant..... The name escapes me for the moment. It's located at the Park Sheraton Hotel, which is right around the block from the Boat Club area...... Again, this is the area where I'm trying to get the apt....

If you think the roads weren't hectic enough, try the local mall "Spencer's". It was so packed we lasted about 15 min. there...... And for Karen and shopping, that's unheard of......  We did find a neat antique furniture store which I'll go back and pick up some end tables later this week......


6 comments:

Pete said...

1500 for a couch? That's not cheap! But it sure does look comfortable.
You have a nice shoffer I think. They have taken you in!
And your pictures enlarge now. How did you do that? When you find out how you can move pictures around once you upload them, let me know too.
Good luck this weekend when you get operational!
Getting the airconditioners was one of the first things that had to be done at The Weather Channel too!
I'll keep on watching your Blog. Good work!

Pete said...

I guess I don't know how to spell chaeffer!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! Great to hear about all your new experiences. Please keep all the stories coming.
Best,
Siobhan

Pete said...

Okay, Joe, I'm waiting for your report on the move in and start up of the business. I realize you are very busy, but just snap apicture now and then for the record. This is a one time deal here! Good luck on finding an apartment soon, and some furniture too.
Hope you guys are doing well. I'll keep checking in to see your progress.

Pete said...

Let's go Joe! What is going on? Important things I am sure. So I will let you go this time. But what the fuck is going on? How about the instalations? Are they in? The air and the computers?
Okay. I have nothing to do but wait! Hope you are doing good. Got an apartment and things are going good at work!
Love you kid!
pete

Pete said...

Waiting for your "Openning Day" report!